17 March 2008

Beauty + Brains + Faith

Carolinians everywhere have a lot to be proud of this dynamic duo. More than just pretty faces, Karla Bautista (she finished elementary and high school in USC) and Stephanie SeƱires (she graduated Magna Cum Laude in B.S. Psychology) have also displayed exceptional grace and level-headedness. Not ones to bask in their laurels, these beauty queens have proven to be made of sterner stuff as they embark on their careers. Both have remained grateful for their roots in USC as they treasure the overwhelming support accorded to them by their teachers and classmates alike. Likewise, these girls are the true epitome of a fulfilled and accomplished Carolinian.

Are you proud to be a Carolinian?

Karla: Yes. I had some of my best years while studying in USC. I learned a lot from the different experiences I have been exposed to as well as the people I met, like my teachers, classmates, etc. I think that is one great thing about being a Carolinian—we are always encouraged to pursue whatever aspirations we have and given enough room to grow as holistic individuals.

Stephanie: No doubt about that. I am very proud to be a Carolinian. It's definitely considered one of the best universities in the country and having graduated from USC is indeed such an honor.

Were you involved in other organizations/extra-curricular activities during your reign?

Karla: I was active in outreach and tourism programs organized by the Cebu City Tourism Commission. I was (still am) modelling under Models Association of Cebu.

Stephanie: Yes. I was the treasurer, and later, the Executive Vice President of the USC Psychology Society. I also joined the University's Intramurals as a member and later, team captain, of the College of Arts and Sciences soccer/baseball team.

Was it difficult juggling your time as Ms. Cebu and as a student?

Karla: Not at all. Although I had many extra-curricular activities, my studies have always been my priority. I have responsibilities as Ms. Cebu but it has never hindered me from my usual school and day-to-day activities.

Stephanie: No, I did not have any difficulty juggling my time as a beauty queen and student. Yes, there were a lot of functions and projects during my reign since it was the time of the ASEAN Summit. But I never sacrificed my studies. If ever I had to miss class for an important function, I would always make up it.

What values did you learn while in USC?

Karla: A phrase I would also remember from our Mission Vision in USC would be "what we have, we share…" This I always keep in mind and try to live by everyday.

Stephanie: I learned that hard work does pay off. I also learned to be humble with my words and actions and to always look up to God for guidance.

How did your title help your present career?

Karla: Ms. Cebu has opened a lot of doors of opportunities for me. I was able to gain many lessons through the people I met, places I have travelled, and endeavours I have taken.

Stephanie: My title was not really the sole reason for my success since there were several other factors. But it has indeed helped my career in many ways. It helped me make a name for myself and meet a lot of important people.

What advice can you give to those who aspire to be the next Ms. Cebu?
Karla: Go for whatever it is you want, whatever it may be. Never let anything or anyone stop you from reaching your goal. Do it for yourself and for the people you love. If you succeed you deserve it, if not, then God has greater plans for you. Whatever happens, you should always be thankful for what you have and for the people around you.

Stephanie: Simply live and love life. When you are passionate and make the most out of everything you do, you'll definitely go a long way. “Carpe diem,” as they say.

By Richard A. Ramos

No comments:

Post a Comment